The bombastic director had his biggest hit yet with 2009′s Transformers sequel, which earned $836 million at the worldwide box office. Bay earns big off his movies and gets a cut of Transformers toys. The director flexed his muscle this year by reportedly kicking Megan Fox off Transformers 3 after she badmouthed him.
Net Worth: $240 million
2010 Salary: $120 million
- When there wasn’t enough money to bring back the crew to shoot a sequence where Will Smith punches out a bad guy in Bad Boys, the first time feature director put up $25,000 of his $125,000 fee to shoot the scene.
- Bay declined upfront pay for Pearl Harbor in favor of a 50% split of what remained after the studio recouped production and advertising costs. The film grossed $450 million; and Bay made $40 million.
- Bay gets an estimated 8% on Transformer toys tied to movies, second only to that of George Lucas, who gets an estimated 15% royalty on all Star Wars figures.
- As a producer, Bay gets an average 8% of the studio’s net on each film.
- Bay bought James Cameron’s visual-effects house Digital Domain in 2007 (when the company had fallen on hard times) with his business partner, John Textor for $35 million.