Ancient Egyptians are largely known for their architectural feats but there are other pretty awesome facts about them. Here is a list of the top 10 most shocking facts about ancient Egypt.
10. Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stones.
9. The world’s largest pyramid is not in Egypt, but in Mexico.
8. The lost Egyptian city of Heracleion was found after 1200 years under the sea.
7. There are still unexplored passageways in the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt.
6. The tradition of exchanging wedding rings goes back to ancient Egyptian times.
5. The first sailing boats were invented in Egypt.
4. The Statue of Liberty was intended for Egypt.
3. Egyptian Pyramid workers were paid with beer: 1 gallon (4L) per day.
2. The World’s Oldest Dress was found in Egypt and it is 5,000 years old.
1. Ancient Egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the death of their cats.