Ancient rome is known for it’s conquest and architecture as well as many other accomplishments. But just like most other societies ancient rome had a crazy side to it. Here is a list of the top 10 shocking facts about ancient rome. Prepare to be surprised:
10. Flamingo tongues were a delicacy in ancient Rome.
9. Life expectancy in Ancient Rome was from 20 to 30 years.
8. Ancient Rome was eight times more densely populated than modern New York.
7. Only free-born Roman men as a were allowed to wear togas (as a sign of Roman citizenship)
6. Ancient Romans reported the first ever UFO. In 218 B.C., a written account reports that a fleet of gleaming ships appeared to be floating in the sky of Rome.
5. A person found guilty of parricide was sewn up in a sack with a dog, a rooster, a viper, and a monkey, and thrown into the sea.
4. Wealthy Romans would have lavish banquets that would last for hours; in order to continue eating, they would induce vomiting.
3. Left-handed people were considered unlucky.
2. In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.
1. It was treason for anyone other than the emperor to dress completely in purple.